Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Westport -> Sligo -> Ballyshannon -> Beleek and that was before 3

Em and I got some Fish and Chips in Westport and headed back to the hostel to get some sleep. We ended up with room mates after all; five Slovakian kids going camping. Luckily they more or less shut up around 12.

We picked up the bus heading to Sligo where we had a break before grabbing the (London)Derry bus which has a stop in Ballyshannon. The Irish public transportation system lacks a bit but once you get used to it, you can get almost anywhere as long as you have plenty of time.

From Ballyshannon we called Sarah, our 1st cousin twice removed. We told her we could walk it but she insisted on coming to get us (turned out as soon as we hung up it started raining, so we are glad they made the offer). Paddy and Sarah arrived and within a few minutes we were at the birthhouse of my great grandmother. As soon as we arrived we put our things down and got the tour. Sarah is such a sweet old woman that it struck Emily and me funny when she offered us a drink of whiskey. We ended up having Bailey's and biscuits (cookies) as a warm up for a lamb, cabbage, carrots and chips lunch.

We got some great family tree information and few steps down and out pretty far. Sarah's memory is absolutely amazing. Apparently we have a LOT of relatives in the US, some are even in Florida (New Smyrna Beach and, I think, Jupiter). 10 of the 12 brothers and sisters of my great grandmother left for the US and many descendents of them (including us) have visited the old homestead.


Em and I got to take a look around the property and a walk down the road. It was such a nice area and we got a great night's sleep in the Irish countryside. This morning we met Paddy's side before going to the cemetery and on to the bus stop.

We got a direct bus to Dublin, from here we will leave for London tomorrow at noon. I am so glad we made the side trip to Beleek, it was so well worth it and made the entire trip very memorable!







--Joey

PS As I was writing this, I look over and hear a familiar voice. Who is it? Yup Monica, my classmate, that I met in Vienna. Are you putting me on?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joey and Emily, How much fun for you to go so far and have family waiting for you whisky in hand! Did anybody look like family to you? Have you felt like singing 'How are Things in Glocamorra?'. Have a good time in London. Love,

Joey said...

I don't think anyone really looked like us but considering that Emily and I don't even look alike that is hardly surprising.

London in T-5 hours

--Joey