Sunday, May 11, 2008

Bayerning for some Bavaria

These posts are chronologically out of order. I'll go back and cover Berlin and Bremen a little later.

The bus ride from Berlin started at 8:15 and concluded around 4:30p. We had a stop around noonish for "5 minutes" which meant that the rest stop that sold food and the like was 2 minutes too far to go. Then about 25 minutes later there was another 10 minute stop. I don't get it. Since the first one was at a rest stop and the second one was in a town, how about letting us have a 15 minute stop at the next place so we can all get something, you know, to eat? It was the first time I have said to myself "This makes NO sense at all" in Germany. While on board I met a guy who looked uncannily like our roommate for a day in Salamanca, Sebastien. He was from Munich (two stops from Aying) and I think I remember him saying he had a brother. So just out of curiosity I asked this guy if he was originally from Munich. Yup. "By any chance do you have a brother named Sebastien?" No...but my name is Sebastien. That was pretty weird. I showed him a photo that was left on my camera and he agreed so much he wants me to send him a bigger photo of the Sebastien I know.

I went for a walk around the Marienplatz and despite the throngs of tourists (more than I have seen in my last two visits) I still love the area. I got word that Em missed her flight from London but Cheryl didn't so I would meet her at the hostel. Em spent the night in Stansted airport which I am sure she'll tell you about.



The next day we scrapped our plans for a Neuschwanstein visit because of Em getting in a little late. A perfect day for an Aying day trip which happens to be my 4th time to the biervonhimmeldorf. The open air beer garden is so nice. We had half a chicken, some kartoffelsalat, and 1L of a helles good beer. Chamber of commerce weather, great food/beer along with some typical Bavarian music from the accordionist rounded out the gemutlichkeit hat trick. One of best parts of ordering beer in German is that I am quite accustomed to saying "Una mas" to get my next 8oz in Spain, and now I just say "Eine Maß" to get my next liter in Germany ;)

Feeling full we decided to go for a walk to Pei
ß, the next town over. As rare as it is for visitors to hit up Aying, Peiß makes it look like Zone 1 London. Along the way, Em and I both peed in the same woods (at different times smart ass) that my father took an emergency schieße back 2 years ago.

Since Em was on fumes and Cheryl might be coming down with something we called it an early night back at my home away from home in Germany, the Wombat hostel.


I can't believe I know four people who have been to that rail stop :D

Tschus!

--Joey

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Too bad the two of you couldn't have emulated your Dad's actions in that thicket of trees. You could have titled that activity as "Does a pair s**t in the woods?"

Enjoy Bavaria. Wish I were there.