Thursday, April 20, 2006

An Okily Dokily day in Flanders

After a long day on Tuesday, I didn't wake up until about noon on Wednesday. Time was limited so I toured Bruges some, posted the blog from yesterday, and called home. I didn't want to waste the money it takes to go to Brussels (about 23 euros) but it did seem like a good time to visit the coastal town of Oostende.

As soon as the sun started to set in Bruges, I knew that I had around 2 hours to make it there. Oostende is not in my guidebook (I am surprised Belgium was) and it looks like it is about to gear up for summer tourists. There, I saw a cool cathedral...but that was nothing. There was the biggest claw machine I ever encountered! I took a video for Em.

I walked about as far as I could in order to return by the last train (10:30). Back in Bruges the outskirts of town were not lit up which surprised me a little. Once "inside" (somewhat literally, there is an entrance and a wall) Bruges rivals Salamanca for a small town at night...only not many people are outside (mostly tourists).

Having done my fair share of walking I headed back to the hostel and ultimately to bed. The one guy I saw earlier was there but covered with his blanket so I didn't notice him at first (I left the light on and everything) so I was noisier than I should have been. When I realized, I felt kinda bad, turned off the light, and took the key downstairs (this is one of those, one key for the room hostels). Around 3am los barachos came in being loud etc. What is it with the Spanish (to be fair they were Mexicans but at that hour who cares) and hostels? ;)

I got a relatively early jump on today and thought it would be a good idea to visit Brussels for two reasons:

1.) There is stuff to see and I have covered Bruges reasonably well
2.)I need to take a flight tomorrow to Salzburg and I want it to go as smoothly as possible

The train took about an hour although I expected it to be longer because I thought there would be more stops on the way here. I also thought there would be more of an "entering a major city" feeling. The train station itself felt a little sketchy so I am going to try to get back by dark (they also had monitors warning about pickpockets, so I don't think I am just being paranoid)

From there I headed, via metro, to the Atomium, the Eiffel Tower of Brussels, in recently restored (were talking last couple of weeks) condition. I was worried that it would be difficult to spot once I left the metro station, as you can see to the left, that was not a problem,

Inside it has a certain Spaceship Earth feel to it appropriate for its Nuclear Age construction timeframe (1958 for the French Expo) . Apparently, sometimes Belgian kids have sleep overs here. Pretty cool!

Afterwards, I began a long walk back to the center of town. It will continue after the blog is posted.

Bruges, without my mug ruining it



--Joey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah...Joey. What is in that first picture ? It looks like a knight with a dog's body and a big handkerchief stuck in his nose. Waiting for your explanation with bated breath.

Clemens said...

I think I agree with Dadman... except maybe for the seaweed.

Tio

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought Dad´s explanqtion could possibly "mostly right"

no snail, sort of a mermaid, face missing with seaweed in it.

The whole thing reminded me of another port city...something is rotten in the state of Belgium