Saturday, May 05, 2007


Much to see and Edo in Tokyo

So Day 2 in Nippon started with me arranging my baseball game plans. Originally I thought I would have to travel to Yokohama to see the game, but the Yomiuri Giants (the Yankees of Japan) play their intracity rivals the Yakult Swallows.

The subway is getting more comfortable to navigate but it can still be plenty confusing. Part of the problem is that their are three means of transport, Toei lines, Metro Lines and JR lines all of which require their own passes. It is hard to argue with the results though, the trains are astoundingly punctual, clean, comfortable (if at times a little hot).

So as I was asking the front desk about the tickets, a girl from Minnesota, Gale, asked me if I was planning on going still and that she was also going to give it a try so we went out together to the Big Egg.

Tokyo Dome is a very cool area. There is a futuristic amusement park, dome, shopping and eating center that all become intertwined do to the land prices in this crazy city. At the stadium we learned all that was left was standing room (1000 yen). I stood through ballet in Vienna, I can certainly stand through a baseball game.





Gale had to meet a WWOOF (organic farming rep) in Shinjuku, so I tagged along and toured the area until she was done. We agreed to meet at 1415 for a 1500 game at the station. I toured the business district and went to McDonald's for a shrimp burger combo. Oishii desu!

I got back to the station on time (mostly) and by 1430 I decided to leave because I thought it was possible that I had already missed her. In fact, I was starting to doubt whether we agree on quarter til 2 rather than quarter after.

At security, I unlocked my bag and the man asked me something in Japanese that I didn't understand. Checku? He was asking me with my bag open, if he could look at the inside of it. Unfailing politeness at every turn. Perhaps that is why Japanese families cycle everyone through the photography process, they don't want to impose on the other person to take a photo.

At the Stadium I took a pass just to see if I could see her. Having screaming blond hair is quite the advantage in Tokyo. An hour after getting there we met up and went to our "seats". Inside, there are bento boxes for sale, noodle dishes, and hot-to dog-os.

The atmosphere in Japanese baseball is intense and, again, polite. When a questionable call is made, you hear no booing but just a muffled mmmuh. The Gabbit (Giant Rabbit) is the mascot and is everywhere.

So after walking all day and standing for three hours, I was quite ready to hit the sack and take the load off my blistered feet.

I'll end the entry with some of the wackiness I have come across.




Which is my favorite type of pie...



Well, I got to admit it works, I didn't see one elephant!




Just think of what Leno's "Headlines" would be like in this country




さよăȘら,

Joey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is Sunday morning and we just got off the phone with Emily. Very glad you decided to meet her at the airport. We were very happy to hear that the 13 hour trip was not too bad. Boy, lil Em was highly impressed by your mastery of Japanese!!

Hey, we enjoy the blog entries a lot, but don't feel that we need daily updates. We know it takes time to put those together. Once every two days is plenty - even once every three days is enough. Enjoy the trip guys - get enough sleep, even though it can be difficult in Youth Hostels.

Dadman

Anonymous said...

Hi, Joey, Is the name of your bottled water "[Something]Sweat"? Is the Melvin that left you a comment, the Melvin from Italy? I am very impressed you can use the subway! Tio is so jealous that you are going the best sushi ever. Wasabi!

Anonymous said...

Hey so this is Amy and I have to say I love that you are drinking Pocari sweat and eating bento boxes! Also at mc. dons you're reading Jump magizine!!! I read Shonen Jump which is the America version. I saw D. Greyman, and the issue was 614 pages long! I'm jealous, if Joey can really read Japanese Manga. All I can say is I hope you guys are taking a ton of photos!! Seriously if you think you're taking enough... take more!! Also I hope you get to have some real ramen noodles because those 10 cents packages in America don't do the real thing justice. Oh Emily if you do read this before you go to Kyoto please get me a charm from a temple! I'll pay you back and everything.
Ja mata
Amy

Anonymous said...

We will probably get enough sleep tonight, we are likely the only ones in the dorm room.

Yup, Tia, that is Melvin from Italy. We have kept in touch over the past year or so swapping travel plans :)

Hi Amy, Emily is delusional, I can't read Japanese Manga, I can pretend to sound certain things out...if they are in Hiragana. I should have spent more time learning Katakana though. Oh well...

Here is Em*

Ok, Joey is being modest...he is talking to everybody (and we're getting around so he's doing something right).

--Joey