Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A stationary blog...

Now that I am in Marbella and unlikely to leave it for the coming days, I thought I would give you a quick update.

School has been going well. We are focusing on learning the 3 past tenses for Spanish which has always been tough for me because there isn't necessarily a good translation into english. For example whenever you say "I have _______" that pretty much always translates "Yo he _____(a/i)do". Easy. Or "When I was younger I used to ______" is always "Cuando era mas joven, _____(aba/ia)". Also pretty easy. But if you are describing let's say, a car accident. Crap it becomes hard. If you cross the road then crash, you cruce if you are hit while crossing, you crucia.

There are lots of "little" things like that which make it a pretty aggravating language.

Otherwise, life in Marbella is good. Each day I go for a walk, grab some lunch (today was at La Casa de Empanadas right off Ricardo Soriano), do a little studying of both my engineering course and Spanish (Chinese has slid a little). Over all a pretty good deal. More to come when events warrant :)

--Joey

3 comments:

Danloman said...

Boy! Like I used to tell my AP Spanish gringa friend...it just sounds good HAHAHAHA!!! Of course that was coming from a native Spanish speaker LOL.

Keep learning...soon enough you'll be fluent.

Danny

Scott said...

So you are studying Chinese and you think Spanish is hard?

Wait until you try Arabic.

And you can always go visit your cousin-in-law in Helsinki and try your hand at Finnish.

Right after you take a week or two to master Basque.

Hyvästi

Anonymous said...

Chinese is really tough but grammatically it doesn't get any easier. No gender, no conjugations, no tenses (yesterday, today and tomorrow are the same for verbs).

It's just the tones, hanzi and the like that turn my brain to mush ;)

--Joey