Saturday, March 01, 2008







Change of plans...

We are meeting up with our Aunt and Uncle in Lisbon on March 8th. The plan had been to continue school for the month of March possibly trying to find our own accomodation or going through the school. But with the extra fees they will charge when we aren't there but instead in traveling around, it won't be worth it. We think it may be easier to get ourselves to Portugal during this week (to Lagos on Monday, when there is a bus). We will stay there for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesay, leave for Lisboa on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Fortunately, Portugal has some of the most highly rated hostels of Western Europe. The plan will be to vamos to Salamanca come mid March and stay for the rest of the time.

Lazy days in Sevilla

It has been a little under a week since we left Marbella. We have been taking it easy just roaming the city. The Samay hostel has overtaken Funky for my favorite hostel in Spain thus far. The rooftop features a view of the Giralda, the Santa Maria de la Blanca and the rest of Santa Cruz. For some of the reasons Emily mentioned earlier, we started cooking our own meals...like real food. Honest, using a stove, electricity, pots, pans. Serious.


The kitchen is well stocked, and at times is fairly busy and pretty social. We met a really nice Dutch family (hi Will!) and ate with them a few days. We met them at the Alcazar and around the place. It was their first time to the city, and like everyone, they really enjoyed it.



The Alcazar

For the student price of free, it is quite the deal. I remember last time being disappointed by it because of the unfair comparison to the Alhambra being so fresh in my mind. As is becoming a refrain of my posts, a lot was under renovation and it looks a lot better. There were even a few spots I had skipped over last time that turned out to be some real gems.


It is easy to see why so many people fall for this town. Tourist sites figure very lightly into that equation, it is just the great atmosphere of the city. The buskers are really first rate. There were Indian flutists, violinists, street artists and the like.

--Joey

2 comments:

laura said...

Your Uncle and I appreciate the lack of adjectives- "old", "decrepit", "can't-be-trusted-in-Lisbon-alone"- before our titles. It will be good to see you in Lisbon next Sunday. I sent you an e-mail with the hotel information. I'm sure I'll send a couple more before the week is through. Still looking for harina.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joey- I am glad that you are having a wonderful time. Hey, I think that I am finally going to make that trip to rio. Today I submitted my travel dates, and if everything goes as plan, I should be in Samba Land on the night of 3/17. Dude, I had a Birthday on Monday.
I did a few changes with my blogger. Finally, I came up with a better name for my blogger, and I transfered my writing over. You can read my stuff at nyc655.blogspot.com
Also, I made a new travel blogger. findmel.blogspot.com
Bro, send me an e-mail, I would like to ask you a few questions.

nyc655@gmail.com

God bless and enjoy!