Sunday, January 22, 2006

Edited to add pictures Monday, January 23 2006



Today is a clear and sunny day in Marbella.

Yesterday I went to Gibraltar with the Norwegian girls. We left at 8:30 and arrived around 10. They left for Valencia last night so they had to take the 3:30 bus back from La Linea to Marbella. So that, in combination with Marie´s fear of heights precluded us from taking the cable car. Turns out the taxi service is fantastic and the same price.

When Dad and I went on Tuesday (which I think was January 17th... 1997) we were ecstatic in seeing 2 monkeys. I think I saw 50 monkeys (it was like the Buffalo island in Yellowstone) and I got a few videos as well. I will post all that stuff tomorrow to this same blog entry.

We also got to see the tunnels as well as the famous Gibraltar cave, which I believe, is a place where the Beatles played. I remember an episode of Dick Van Dyke where Chad and Jeremy are staying at the Petries and Rob says:

You are as safe here as on the Rock of Gibraltar
Should we tell him what happened at Gibraltar?
Nah it will just worry him.

I have a picture of that too.

We got a real blast! We saw a plane take off from Gibraltar across the same runway that we entered. How cool!

So after the tour we got some pounds to pay the driver and to grab lunch. We thought, Fish and Chips would work well, but the girls had only 20 minutes to eat before leaving again. So they suggested something faster...Pizza Hut. Yes, Pizza Hut, we should be shot. I have been to Gibraltar twice, and what did I eat?

McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

So the Norwegian girls left, and Angela (an American who is also part Norwegian) and I spent a few hours walking around Gibraltar. We wandered into a Pub and had a Scrumpy Jacks and a Kaffherty. Both great. We said we probably need 30 minutes to get back to the bus station. Apparently we needed 34 minutes because we missed the bus to Marbella (insert joke about disguises, psychic scales here)

Fortunately, the Andalucia buses are used to that, and we just took a bus from La Linea to Estepona and then to Marbella. The ride back stopped every few minutes because Marbella is a hopping place on Friday, and Saturday nights.

We helped the Norwegian girls to their taxi and went back and had a few beers and some of the worst wine I have ever tasted :-P

Today I am going to go walking in the mountain behind town, provided it is safe to do so. Update: I did go walking and it was safe as far as animals, but the ascension is very steep and unsteady so I just went up about 20 feet of the tougher terrain before coming back down. I met four Brits along the way. My spanish has been improving at a slower rate than initially, but I am understanding more (at least when I am involved in the conversation). I also started to understand more Norwegian which always struck the girls funny when I did and responded. It comes in handy when you are in Gibraltar because it is not safe to talk in front of someone who speaks Spanish and English. So a little bit of (Det er ikke billig. Jeg ikker liker dette pris kanskje vi kan spoerre andre) can come in handy.

I spoke with Rolo and Betty about music this morning (we listened to some Ravel with Breakfast)and apparently I am the first American they have hosted who likes classical music. They are huge fans of Jazz, so I am glad I brought some of my music to share with them.

Okay I will post the pictures tomorrow on this same entry to check back, or not :-p

--Joey

2 comments:

Clemens said...

Three Norwegian students!!?? And your aunt was worried about you being in Marbella? Well, what could go wrong?

Glad to know all those Norwegian lessons down in Ybor City are standing you in good stead with the Normanni.

I am also envious. Pubs in Gibraltere. Bad wine in Spain.

Joey said...

Hehe actually four Norwegian students ;)

Marbella is such a nice city I am going to post more pictures of it while I am walking around.

Today is a crummy day...only 17 degrees :-P

--Joey