Thursday, February 02, 2006






Happy Thursday... in the photo to the left, there is something hidden, see if you can find what it is (if you want a clue, just enlarge it).



Today I found a bank that was open (a surprisingly tough task in Spain where they must have Banqueros Horaritas) where I changed five hundred USD to euros (no commission) and was a nervous wreck walking back to school with that much cash (it was only 100 ft and broad daylight but even still I will probably change less in the future...it sure would be convenient if they accepted travelers checks at the school). So I officially have a place to call home in Salamanca. I picked it because...

1.) There can´t be anymore English speakers than Marbella
2.) It is not too big where it is easy to get overwhelmed
3.) It is convenient to Galicia, Madrid, Toledo, etc.
4.) It has the "best plaza in Europe"
5.) It has a hard to find frog that brings luck (if you know where it is, don´t tell me)

I picked living with a Family for one week. If I don´t like it, I will change to a student residence. And if I don´t like Salamanca, I can return to Marbella. The weather is colder (Betty and Rolo told me it can reach -10 C in February) but right now it is only 5 C colder than Marbella. In other words; nice!

I decided I am going to do something this weekend but I am not sure exactly what. I am leaning toward returning to Granada because most of the town was closed when we arrived but Malaga is also a possibility (I think that is where my Grandfather always wanted to retire but I am not sure).

Since arriving from Granada the days have been pretty lazy. I think I have mostly stayed in town and hung out with the other students. You (I) can´t do something all the time, you (I) would go crazy (though it does make your time feel longer).

Anyway, the weather has been much better for making you all jealous. So here are is a concluding photo.










--Joey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it the word "Nina" written a kibillion times in the palm fronds?
It has been so long since I was in Spain that I can't give you much advice on where to go this weekend. It does seem a shame not to have toured the Alhambra and Generalife- or as Wilson called it, General Life- but I understand wanting to see other cities. You might consider Sevilla; I remember it as rather pretty. Whatever you decide, you will enjoy. Don't sweat it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Tia Laura, you really need to enlarge it. Dad had an unfair advantage because was here earlier.

Hehe, the filibuster never had a chance.

Anyway enough about that, I am going to Granada tomorrow, and Sevilla the week after. I made a reservation at a Youth Hostel in Granada. I am going to get a lock today or candado de cable though this place looks very safe, and has a great reputation with backpackers. But, as always, the siesta has shut down an entire nation including the stores I need to get to. I am one of the first to say, a nap mid day, after lunch seems like a good idea, but for heaven sake between 2 and 5 nothing is open, save tourist traps and Chinese restaurants. Well, I am off to grab some Goo Goo Gai Pan.

--Joey

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a shame when people get old and start repeating themselves?
I can see it now after dadman's hint.
Plan sounds like a winner. Don't know nothing about no frog.

Anonymous said...

That is an odd looking ship in that photo! HA HA

Hope you are having fun! We aren't here in TB. It had rained today in some places measuring over a foot.

Good luck!

-Uncle Sam