Tuesday, February 21, 2006


Today I walked across a country, okay fine it was the Vatican. Still, I walked across the country.

I got a little bit of a late start and found a lady hawking a tour. Let me tell you what a good move that was! We bypassed 2 hours of line (in other words, we would have missed the Sistine Chapel) and we got some really interesting tidbits that simply gone unknown (had we got in).




The Sistine Chapel has undergone a renovation. So if you saw it pre 1986 or there abouts, you have not seen the Sistine Chapel. They left an area uncleaned to show the STARK contrast between the two. My guess is that it would have been impossible to see any detail at all!

To think that was ol Mickey's first attempt at fresco (painting with plaster). The room of maps is equally impressive with art that extends as far as your eye can see. Ironically everyone talks about the actual ceiling of the Capella Sistina, but for me the best part was the wall (Judgment Day and Jonah, whose legs appear to dangle three dimensionally)

After leaving all that we could have made a right to get in to St Peter's Basillica, but we left, and that meant we would have to get checked again. So we took the opportunity to grab some pizza. FINALLY! Every pizza place I have been to in Italy has been worse than Little Caesar's! Not saying it is bad, but not what you expect. I ran a few errands then back to the Basilica for a MUCH shorter line (the school groups that were there had left).

Wooooooooow!


Pepa (from James and Pepa the British couple I met at the Alhambra) was experimenting with some pretty good hash or something because there is no way the Vatican is below the Alhambra (as great as that is, and believe me the Alhambra is impressive). The only thing that could make it true is if you see it from the outside (I am sorta remembering that...maybe?).

St Peter's Basilica is jaw dropping. There are monuments (and tombs) for every(?) Pope going back to Peter. There are carvings and artwork EVERYWHERE! Seriously, you look up and bam, ten statues of incredible detail, which is only a distraction from the art between them. Maybe the greatest thing I have ever seen man made or nature.

Rome has a very special feeling, one that is different from anywhere I have been... especially at night. So for those keeping score at home...

1.) Rome (Venice is essentially tied but it is a fake city)
2.) Florence
2.5) Sevilla
3.) Bergen
4.) Granada
.
.
.
350.) The more dangerous areas of DC
.
.
.
500.) Lyon

Anyway, it was quite a day!

I met a British guy in Florence who told me something pretty cool.

"Seeing all of this... I just...I just feel honored to see it."













I agree.

--Joey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is your mom's cousin, Barbara, from NY. It is really great that you are over there and seeing things we only read about. It must be a really great experience. /take it all in as it will be hard to get another chance later on. well, have fun and be careful............

Anonymous said...

Dad,

That was going to be my Munich blog entry opener! Oh well I got a back up ;)

For parking near the Hofbrehaus they have a sign that says "Blau Zone"

Crazy!

Oh and the Y and the Z are swapped making tzping more difficult than it should be.

Barbara: Yeah is has been fantastic! I am really lucky to be able to do this (on the scale that I am) hopefully this blog wont bore you to death :)

--Joey