Friday, February 22, 2008


Monkey Business

A late start almost prompted a repeat of the trip to Ronda and Sevilla. Once again we were with empty stomachs, slightly nauseous from the taxi ride, and running to catch the last direct bus to Gibraltar for several hours. Luckily for me...Joey...and the entire bus, it was a much smoother ride with a short stop in Estepona. Upon arriving in Estepona, I thought it would be a good idea for me to get off for fresh air and get a refresco for Joey, who stayed on the bus. (This has good idea written all over it - doesn't it?! haha). I was having trouble finding a soda machine and by the time I did, and got my money out, I see the bus pulling out! I figured that Joey would yell to the driver to wait for me. I figured wrong! Apparently he just sat there with a worried look on his face, paralyzed by the grammatical convention of how to tell the driver to stop - "Is it a command...because I want him to stop now....or maybe conditional...because I only want him to stop if she isn't on the bus... or the future tense...because I need him to stop a few seconds after he closed the door?...quien sabe..." Meanwhile, I am running after the bus - arms flailing! Fortunately, a man spotted me and informed the driver (quite easily and promptly, I might add). After returning to my seat, Joey only asked, "So, where's my drink?"

We arrived in La Linea, the city dividing Spain and Wee Britain, and walked across Gibraltar's airport runway to get to the centre of town. Unfortunately, the weather was not great, so we decided to get lunch hoping the sky might clear up a bit later. For a mere 12 pounds, we each enjoyed fish & chips and a coke in a restaurant much like Long John Silvers. After eating and walking around for a while, the sky was still as grey and cloudy as it was when we arrived - oh well.

We took a tour van with two other people up to the Rock. Our first stop was pretty much a Kodak picture spot that overlooked Gibraltar, the runway, Spain, and even Africa (although the hazy weather prevented us from seeing it). Next, we went to the cave. It was very cool but we were definitely spoiled by Carlsbad Caverns. From there, we went to the top of the Rock, which was the highlight. Always a tourist favourite...hanging out with the monkeys! Me encantan los monos!!! On the way down, we stopped briefly in the Siege Tunnels which had low ceilings, dripping water, and a humungo spider that spooked me right back out. Joey took a couple more pictures and I took the opportunity to pick a cool looking leaf for my travel journal/scrapbook. I realized too late that the leaf was covered in fine prickly thorns. OUCH! My thumb burned and turned kind of red. We asked the tourguide if the plant was poisonous. He said that it wasn't but in order to stop the burning feeling, I had to urinate on it! Allllllright...


After the tour, we stopped at a pub -for Joey to get a pint of cider and of course for me to use the bathroom. We left the pub in a hurry after realizing that we only had 45 min until the last direct bus to Marbella would leave. Knowing that we always run on Cuban time...and knowing our travel history, you might have guessed that we missed the bus. Okay, the longer route it is! We stopped every 15 minutes or so, so what should have taken an hour and a half, took about 2 and a half.

We got back to Betty's around 9:00pm (eight hours since lunch and starving) and had the best meal of my life! An omelet, baked potato, and chilled tomato slices with fresh mozzarella. Despite the dreary weather, almost getting left in Estepona, and having to pee on my thumb, it was a pretty good day.

2 comments:

Pam Senay said...

Wow! Just a typical day in Andalucia with the Yanes kids. One of these days, you all will actually travel from point A to point B on the schedule that you had planned originally. When that happens, it will be quite a "piedra de milla" (milestone).

Good blog, good pics.

Dadman

Unknown said...

HELLO JOEY,

HOW ARE YOU DOING? DUDE, I ENVY YOU. THAT'S RIGHT, ENJOY THE WORLD AND GET AS MANY SENORITAS AS POSSIBLE. :o)

DUDE, I AM UNDECIDED, MAYBE YOU CAN HELP ME. I AM GOING TO BUENOS AIRES, ARG. IN MARCH. HOWEVER, I AM DEBATING WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD GO TO LA HAVANA.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO ARGENTINA. THANKS TO JETBLUE & THE BENEFITS. I GET TO FLY TO BUENOS AIRES FOR $15.00 ON COPA WITH ONE STOP IN PANAMA.

DUDE, ENJOY YOUR ADVENTURE AROUND THE WORLD. YOU ROCK!