Saturday, June 28, 2008

Why did I tell you I was going to Shanghai?

After a fair amount of consideration I have decided to postpone*, not cancel, my trip to China. When I initially had the idea of going to the olympics in Beijing (it was just after Torino in 06) I thought it could be like Barcelona in 1992: city changing, memorable, potentially infamous, and an all out party to celebrate China's entrance on to the world's stage. Unfortunately for China, the earthquake and the Tibet crackdown (of course, they had control over that one) are taking the shine off a bit.


China is also cracking down on visas much to the chagrin of businesses and would be tourists. They are terrified of massive protests with the world watching. More and more applicants are getting denied for somewhat arbitrary reasons. Me being a 25 year old student going solo would almost certainly raise an eyebrow or two. Additionally, I would be VERY reluctant to buy a non refundable airplane ticket when it is possible my visa would be rejected which in turn may make them more likely to reject my application. The visa isn't cheap either (roughly $200) and nor does it appear to be refundable.

As I did a little more research, I got equally excited about seeing the Yellow Mountains, Guillin, roaming around the Bund in Shanghai, soaking up the Cantonese sardine can of Hong Kong, taking a boat down the Yangtze to Chongqing, and even possibly seeing Tibet. A lot of those areas are considered to be malarial zones at this time of year. Touring China during the summer is the worst time to visit (much like Florida).

So the question became, how important was seeing the games? It went from being a major reason to visit to just a reason. I came to the conclusion that I would rather do this trip in April or May than July and August. The one remaining question mark was, "Will I have another opportunity to visit China for a prolonged period of time?"

Saying that I can do it after I start working as a few have said was, in my opinion, way too optimistic. One advantage of having worked in the real world is that I recognize how much anguish people (well, Americans anyway) go through to take 2 consecutive weeks off. This is especially true if you are married with kids. Between coordinating your schedule, her schedule, the kids' school and making sure you insulate yourself again possible "emergency deadlines", going on vacation can be exhausting. When I went to Japan, it was only for 10 days, which is pretty short considering how long it takes you to hop the pacific. If this the only time I will have a month to travel, then my saddest-words-of-tongue-and-pen weltanschauung compels me to seize the day... but I don't believe that to be the case. After grad school, I will likely be able to arrange a month off before I start work full time or possibly I will be able to do it between semesters.

That doesn't mean my backpack will be collecting dust for too long, I may be leaving elsewhere fairly soon.

--Joey

*much to the relief some in my family

1 comment:

laura said...

I can hear your Mom singing "Happy Days Are Here Again!" from here.
I had quite a few 3 weeks vacations and one glorious 4 week vacation- to NZ- when I was working; the Feds still have a fairly generous annual leave plan. So, it is possible to still travel when you are working; the temptation is to vacation, rather than travel. Just doing nothing, or the old trap: "I need to do things around the house" seems so easy compared to strapping on a backpack and going. But I have hopes for you!
For me, there are two places I would love to spend exploring for a month or so: Cuba, when it finally opens up and before it becomes wall-to-wall condos on the beaches, and Japan. I think I will save Japan for when I turn 60, 4 years from now. Maybe we can meet you there for part of the trip!
BTW- Do you need the book and notebook we brought back from Spain before we come in August? I can drop it in the post if you do. Love, Tia