Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Yo Adriatic, it's rocky

I hopped the night train from Rome to Bari in a three person couchette. The sleep on a night train is always hit and miss, if the ride is more than 8 hours you have a reasonable chance at a full night's sleep but when you get one that is 6 hours it just makes you tired. So I walked out of Bari Centrale at 7:30ish and waited for a McDonald's to open so I could sit and rest a little. After three hours I had had enough and walked down to the port to find out about ferries to Corfu, Dubrovnik or to Montenegro. The Corfu ferries start during the high season, Montenegro runs on alternating days so I pinned everything on the Dubrovnik ferry which runs regularly...unfortunately for the company.

I believe there were no more than 12 people on board. I skipped getting a room in favor of sleeping on the deck but I met a few Canadians and Americans so we just stayed back drinking and bsing most of the night inside.

We arrived in Dubrovnik around 8a where I was swamped by older people wanting to rent me their rooms (the cheapest way to stay in Dubrovnik). From the port I headed off to the bus station to catch a ride to Budva, Montenegro. It has a lot of what Dubrovnik offers such as beautiful waters and beaches, a picturesque old town and the like but with two main causal advantages: fewer tourists and lower prices.

The drive in is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It is like Scandinavian scenery, Iberian weather, Mediterranean architecture and Chinese prices. What's not to love? I ended up staying at the Hippo Hostel, Montenegro's only hostel and planned on staying put for 2-3 days. Turns out I liked it so much I decided that I am not moving until the 8th. We barbecue nightly with finds from the local butcher. Really high quality premarinated steak kebabs, chicken wrapped with bacon, baked potatoes, and local veggies all for 6-8 euros...roughly the cost of a McDs value meal in Rome.

It is also a real convenient place to depart from if you want to visit Croatia, Bosnia, and other cities in Montenegro such as Kotor which I may end up doing tomorrow. All I have to do is get myself to Split on the 9th so with the next 4 days...who knows? My next entry will probably be when I return home, see you all in about a week.




--Joey

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yo Adriatic??....EXCELLENT !

Unknown said...

I also had that experience with older people renting out rooms in their houses. I remember a 70 year old woman who was pretty insistent..as I got off the bus in Split, she was hanging on the waist straps of my backpack saying "Zimmer frei" "Zimmer frei" (Room available). I kept on walking and dragged that poor woman about 100 yards before she gave up and went on to latch on to someone else. That was the night I ended up sleeping in the cemetery.

Anonymous said...

JOEY Z. hey man.. you look great. gonna try to spend some time reading more. just looked for a few minutes, but you know my attentions span..

'later brother.. take care of your self, and call us if you need any backup. ;-)